My Shopping List
Rustic Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Crostini
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 25 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 2 Tbsp. canola oil (30 mL)
+ 2 yellow onions, chopped
+ 6 cloves garlic, minced
+ 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (1 mL)
+ 6 lb. tomatoes, chopped+ (3 k)
+ 2 c. fresh basil leaves, chopped *+ (500 mL)
+ 4 c. low-sodium vegetable broth (1 L)
+ 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar (45 mL)
+ 1/4 c. fresh basil leaves, chopped (60 mL)
Grilled Cheese Crostini:
+ 3 slices 2% cheddar cheese, cut in half
+ 6 slices whole grain Italian bread, cut on bias, about 1-in. (2.5 cm) thick each
What to do:
1. To prepare soup: Warm large pot over medium heat. Add canola oil, onions, garlic, crushed red pepper and sauté 5 min.
2. Add tomatoes, basil and broth. Bring to boil, cover and simmer 15 min.
3. With emersion blender, purée soup to desired smoothness.
4. To prepare crostini: Place half slice of cheese on each slice of bread, place on baking sheet and broil 5 min. until cheese bubbles and bread is toasted.
5. Top soup with drizzle of balsamic vinegar and basil. Serve with cheese crostini on side.
Yield: 6 servings. Serving size: 2 cups (500 mL) soup and 1 cheese crostini.
*6 lbs (3 kg) fresh tomatoes may be substituted with 3 lbs. (1.5 kg) fresh tomatoes and 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) low-sodium crushed tomatoes or 2 cans (28 oz/796 mL each) low-sodium crushed tomatoes.
**Fresh basil may be substituted with 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried basil.
* Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.
Calories: 270; Calories From Fat: 8; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Total Carbs: 40g; Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 17g; Protein: 9g; Sodium: 320mg; Potassium: 154mg;