Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 1 1/2 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1-1/2 lb. ground beef
+ 2 large poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-in. thick strips
+ 1 c. finely chopped onion
+ 1 c. soft bread crumbs
+ 1 large egg
+ 1 large chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
+ 1 tsp. salt
+ 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
+ 1/2 c. shredded Chihuahua cheese, Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican cheese blend
+ 3 Tbsp. adobo sauce
What to do:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Combine ground beef, onion, bread crumbs, egg, chipotle pepper, salt and black pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
2. Divide beef mixture in half. Shape each half into 8x4-in. loaf. Place 1 loaf on rack in broiler pan. Arrange half of the poblano pepper strips lengthwise over loaf, leaving 1/4-in. border around edge. Sprinkle cheese over peppers; top with remaining peppers. Place remaining loaf on top; press edges of loaves together to seal, reshaping loaf if necessary. Brush adobo sauce over top and sides of meatloaf.
3. Bake in 350°F oven 1 hr. and 10 min.-1 hr. and 20 min., until instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F.
4. Let stand 10 mins. Cut into slices.
* Cook's Tip: To roast poblano peppers, arrange seeded pepper halves, skin side up, on large sheet of aluminum foil. Place on broiler rack so surface of peppers is 3 to 4-in. from heat. Broil 12-15 min. or until skin is blackened. Fold aluminum foil over peppers to
enclose. Let stand 5 min. Remove and discard blackened skins from peppers.
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Calories: 322; Total Fat: 2g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 122mg; Total Carbs: 1g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 26g; Sodium: 2119mg;