Italian Stuffed Pork Meatball Sandwich
Courtesy of National Pork Board
Prep Time: n/a
Cook Time: 6 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 lb. ground pork, lean
+ 2 eggs, whisked
+ 1 tsp. garlic powder
+ 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
+ 1 c. bread crumbs
+ 1 c. fresh mozzarella balls, about 12 to 15 of small size
+ 1 28-oz. jar tomato sauce
+ kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
+ submarine-style buns
What to do:
1. In a large bowl combine the whisked eggs, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Add the ground pork and breadcrumbs and mix together until evenly combined.
2. Form the ground pork mixture into small meatballs, each the size of a golf ball.
3. Insert a mozzarella ball in the center of each meatball, taking care to re-form the meatball around the cheese once it's been added. (The cheese should not be visible.)
4. Place the tomato sauce in the bottom of a slow cooker and add the meatballs on top.
5. Turn the slow cooker on and cook over high heat for 6 hours or low heat for 8 hours. Carefully rotate the meatballs after half the cooking time to make sure they cook evenly.
6. To serve, place three meatballs plus sauce in a submarine bun.
* Try substituting regular breadcrumbs with equal amounts of panko bread crumbs, or any kind of pasta or red sauce
available. Serve with sweet potato fries.
* Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board. For more recipes visit:
Calories: 890; Total Fat: 49g; Saturated Fat: 27g; Cholesterol: 280mg; Total Carbs: 48g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 62g; Sodium: 1440mg;